1. In case of – In the case of
- In case of = Ketika ada
® In case of emergency, please dial 911!
- In the case of = Tentang, bicara soal
® The teacher said the essays were mostly very good, but in the case of Jane’s and Tom’s, there was still much room for improvement.
2. In (the) face of – On the face of
- In (the) face of = Dengan adanya
® He can’t possibly win in the face of such difficulties.
- On the face of = Menilai dari penampilannya yang nampak
® On the face of the results, the examination must have been too difficult.
3. In favor of – In favor with
- In favor of = Mendukung
® Over half the members voted in favor of the suggestion.
- In favor with = Disukai oleh
® You can’t expect to be in favor with Susan if you are always criticizing her.
4. For fear of – In fear of
- For fear of = Karena takut dengan
® I never carry a large sum of money with me for fear of losing it.
- In fear of =Khawatir akan keselamatan seseorang
® He ran in fear of his life when he heard the shots.
5. By the name of – In the name of
- By the name of = Yang bernama
® A man by the name of Johnson called this morning.
- In the name of = Atas nama
® Stop in the name of law!
6. At the point of – On the point of
- At the point of = Mendekati (satu keadaan)
® The old man is at the point of death.
- On the point of = Hampir (melakukan sesuatu)
® I was on the point of going to bed when the telephone rang.
7. In possession of – In the possession of
- In possession of = Memiliki, mempunyai sesuatu
® I am not in possession of all the details, so I can’t give my valid opinion of the matter.
- In the possession of = Kepunyaan seseorang.
® The documents have been in the possession of the British Museum for fifty years.
8. In/With regard to – Out of regard for
- In/With regard to = Menurut, tentang
® With regard to the safety of the operation, I have the following measures to propose.
- Out of regard for = Berdasarkan, setelah mempertimbangkan
® Out of regard for your work, I am recommending you for promotion.
9. In respect of – With respect to
- In respect of = Menurut, tentang
® In respect of social improvement the government’s policy is sound, but is disregards the grave need for economic improvement.
- With respect to = Berdasarkan (referensi)
® With respect to your request for a salary rise, a final decision will be taken by the management next week.
10. At the sight of – In the sight of
- At the sight of = Ketika melihat
® She burst out laughing at the sight of his new haircut.
- In the sight of = Berdasarkan sudut pandang
® From a moral point of view, his conduct is understandable and even excusable, but in the sight of the law he is guilty of slander.
11. At the time of – in time of
- At the time of = Pada waktu tertentu, pada saat.
® I was in India at the time of my mother’s death.
- In time of = Selama
® In time of need one is thankful for a small comforts.
12. In view of – with a view to
- In view of = Menurut, tentang, berdasarkan
® In view of his recent successes, Jones has been asked to stand for the next election.
- With a view to = Dengan penekanan atau tujuan tertentu
® He has bought the old house with a view to renovating it and selling it at a profit.
13. For/From want of – in want of
- For/From want of = Karena kekurangan
® Many crops and trees have already died from want of rain.
- In want of = Membutuhkan
® I am badly in want of a pair of new shoes, but I have no time at the moment to go out and buy them!